Our Building

Our Church

The Church is a striking, visually prominent, complex building designed and built by SS Teulon in the 1860’s and based on an earlier simple Georgian Box. Following a three-phase restoration and remodelling completed in 2003 the interior is full of detail with an eye-catching colour scheme reflecting Teulon’s original design. Wooden pew benches allow different layouts centred on the east end and possibilities for other uses. A gallery provides additional seating. At the west end of the Church are our creche, prayer room and two offices. Far reaching views are possible from the top of our tower ‘which have been enjoyed by the local community on ‘open’ days. Either side of the Chancel are a Lady Chapel and a Vestry area with three rooms and a toilet.

Our last Quinquennial Inspection was held in 2023 and our architect confirmed “our church remains in good condition and is very well maintained”

St Mary’s Church is a grade 2* Listed Building.

St Mary’s Church and grounds are sited within a Conservation Area.

Polygon

On the south side of the Church a lounge was built in 1959 and extended in 1978 to create the Polygon. An extensive refurbishment was carried out in 2019 giving us an attractive, comfortable, warm, well insulated, flexible space used fully by both St Mary’s activities and outside hirers. Folding screens enable the space to be divided up in different combinations with a maximum of 6 separate spaces. Recent uses have included the whole space for the farewell of Steve our former vicar a 100 plus attending and one of the spaces for our PCC meetings. The Polygon also has toilets, a kitchen and a disabled WC baby change and shower, together with adequate storage space. Disabled access is provided in both the Church and Polygon.